Wednesday 28 March 2012

Fave Films

I've just been glancing at my (extensive) DVD collection, and I'm thinking... 'Of all these movies, how many would I actually say are excellent? How many are truly worthy of the full five stars?'

Now, opinions are always subjective, and I'm a bit of a collectivist. For example, the fact that I like and own 'Highlander' means that I also own its sequels, and frankly Highlanders 2 and 5 are among the worst films ever committed to celluloid. My favourite movie is 'Jaws', but my completist mindset means that, at some stage, I actually forked out moolah in order to possess Jaws 3 and 4.

Therefore, from a purely subjective point of view, here are the movies in my collection which I believe are worthy of the full five stars. I've decided, on this occasion, only to list the films which are not part of franchises, or have official sequels.

Amadeus
Amores Perres
The Andromeda Strain
BenHur
Blade Runner
Bonnie And Clyde
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Casablanca
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
The Company Of Wolves
Cyrano De Bergerac
Dead Poets Society
The Deer Hunter
Deliverance
Don't Look Now
Edward Scissorhands
The Elephant Man
Excalibur
Fight Club
Get Carter
Gone With The Wind
The Graduate
The Hitcher (original)
In Bruges
JFK
L.A. Confidential
La Reine Margot
The Last Of The Mohicans
Lawrence Of Arabia
The Long Good Friday
Marathon Man
Mean Streets
Midnight Express
The Name Of The Rose
A Night To Remember
Pan's Labyrinth
Pulp Fiction
Picnic At Hanging Rock
Rain Man
Reservoir Dogs
A Room With A View
Schindler's List
Scum
Se7en
Sin City
The Sixth Sense
Stagecoach
Stand By Me
The Taking Of Pelham 123 (original version)
Thelma & Louise
Three Colours: Red
Traffic
Trainspotting
The Usual Suspects
Watership Down
The Wicker Man (original)


Agree? Disagree? Love? Hate?

No comments:

Post a Comment